Marathon Recovery

I can’t believe it’s been two weeks since the marathon. In some ways it feels like it was just yesterday and it others it feels like forever ago.

I’ve been keeping busy the last couple of weeks. The day after the marathon I worked from home, which was a good idea because my legs were SORE! I literally couldn’t help but groan every time I sat or stood. I’m sure my coworkers appreciated not having to hear that all day. ūüôā I got to elevate my legs and enjoyed some coffee in my MNspired mug.

mnspired mug

That evening I went for a short, slow walk to move my legs a little and work out some of the soreness. As I walked, I thought about everything I’d been through the day before. Some of the emotion that didn’t come when I crossed the finish line bubbled up and I got a little teary eye (happy teary eyed) as I walked. It was a nice moment to just enjoy my accomplishment.

The soreness progressively got better each day after that. By the end of the week it was basically gone. Just in time for my sister and I to take a trip to Albuquerque, NM. We visited family and got to explore the beautiful southwest.

One of the coolest things we did was going to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. About 500 hot air balloons launch from a field and it’s pretty amazing. You can actually walk right out on to the field where the teams are preparing the balloons, inflating them and taking off.

IMG_3257   IMG_3275

IMG_3301   IMG_3310

We also headed to the top of a mountain to see a spectacular view.


It was the perfect long-weekend trip and a great break after all of the running/training.

This past week has been pretty low-key. I’ve done a couple more walks and one elliptical workout, but no running just yet. I’ll be slowly working my way back into it soon.

The leaves are turning all kinds of pretty colors in the Twin Cities right now. I know it’s fall cause I started fighting my first cold of season a couple of days ago. Celebrating a friend’s birthday last night was super fun as we danced the night away, but singing along and talking over loud music did not help my voice at all. I sound pretty miserable¬†today. Hope the cold goes away soon.

How do you recover from a big race?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s